30 April 2006

Shadows and silhouettes

Face lies on pillow
creases will be imprinted
on cheek for visitors to see
if any would come.

She is more concerned
with opening and closing
her eyes
one at a time
repeatedly
one at a time
and watching how
the long gray shadow
of the doorway moves
up
and down
up
and down
quickly and slowly
depending on
the speed of opening
her eyes
one at a time.

In the flicker
of alternate eye closing
and opening
She can see
the silhouette
of her nose.
Her father would be proud,
She is winking
without moving her mouth.

4 comments:

rebeleyeball said...

I like it.

(c) sleight of mind 2006 said...

Thank you :)

Crunchy Weta said...

I really like it too tho Im a bit disturbed by the last stanza.. not sure if I should feel uneasy or not??

(c) sleight of mind 2006 said...

Yes, took me a while to understand, but yes... I see what you mean.... definitely not something to feel uneasy about :)

That's what I love about poetry, the many interpretations.

Poetry
is a
catalyst for reaction